There are several reasons. 1. Reduced charges of slow burning powders will not generate enough initial pressure to expand the case to seal the chamber; this allows the gas to flow around the case and into the rifles action and possibly the shooters face. 2. Reduced charges do not fill the case and depending on the powders position in the case, may allow the force from the primer to move the bullet into the bore before the powder starts to burn. This plugs the bore and can cause a catastrophic pressure spike when the powder does ignite. 3. A load that is not adequate to expel the bullet from the barrel can cause a bulged or burst barrel if another round is shot behind it.
- Last update:
- 2013-10-31 23:02
- John Bullet
You cannot comment on this entry
- Fine-tuning bullet seating depth.
- Why is the powder I have not listed in your data?
- Why don’t I get the same velocities listed in your manual from my rifle?
- Why do different manuals have different data?
- What is SAAMI?
- What is SAAMI spec?
- Why are reduced loads potentially dangerous?
- What is the definition of “burn rate”?
- What is a compressed load?
- Why are there compressed loads (more than 100% load density) listed in your Reloading Manual?
- What is load density and how is it possible to have more than 100% load density i.e. compressed load?
- How is it possible to get over 100% load density?
Trophy Grade Muzzle Velocities Barrel Break-In AccuBond NoslerCustom Muzzle Brake Ballistic Silvertip Reloading Products Custom Rifles Ballistic Tip Lead Free Trophy Grade Long Range BTMZ Reloading Barrels Match Grade Rifle Match Grade Handgun Nosler Ammuntion CC Bonded Solid Base Case Dimension Targets Defense Handgun Ballistic Tip Lead-Free Compressed Load 28 Nosler Nosler Rifles Dangerous Game Long Range Ballistic Tip Varmint Solid find products Nosler Brass Partition Left Handed Rifles Reloading Guide Burn Rate 26 Nosler Ammo Reloading Guide #7 Rifle BTLF Sporting Handgun Reloading Powder Ballistic Tip Hunting M48 Ballistic Tip Muzzleloader Ballistic Tip® Varmint AccuBond Long Range
Excellence - Integrity - Service
115 SW Columbia St | Bend, Oregon, USA 97702 | Toll Free: 1-800-285-3701 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Nosler Showroom / Open to the Public: Monday - Friday 10:00 am to 5:30 pm PST
Corporate Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm PST